Friday, April 4, 2008

Fossils, Family, and Sparkly Capes

Amber and I had a "kid outing" to the San Bernardino County Museum. We took Brinley, Stacey, Spencer, Kira and Ryan. Here they are looking at the petrified wood and all the rocks etc. This was a fun place that I took their dads when they were little. It hasn't changed much.
Here's the giant polar bear. At first they all thought it was wierd that the animals are dead. I told them they are just preserved so we can get a close up look at them. Ryan called it the "snow bear."

Outside there is a place where you can dig for fossils in the sand. The kids had fun flipping sand everywhere and got so excited when a bone showed up.


The last exhibit was full of glittery clothes, purses, and jewlery. When I saw this display case, I was reminded of Staci's conversation with me about "old people." One day she said, "I know what old people like to do." "What's that?" I asked. "They like to shop," she replied. "What do they shop for?" I asked. After some thought she replied, "sparkly capes!" She was right! Here is proof...a sparkly cape from the late 1800's.


5 comments:

Brooke and Tami said...

Ryan hasn't stopped talking about the dead animals, and the really big egg. He and Kikster had such a good time. After busy season we're going to plan a LA Museum trip. Any takers? Thanks for your helping hands. It was much needed, and very appreciated. You too Am.

Amber Horspool said...

Love the Sparkly cape picture of Staci!

heather said...

That Staci is so silly! I'm glad all the kids had fun. I bet Amber and Tami are sure glad to have you help entertain their kids while they're out of school!

Bryan H said...

If you all are going to the graduation dealy-o there are several sweet museums right by the school...maybe it would be fun to hit them up? I think the science center is free...and the rose garden as well...but the history musuem charges. I've always wanted to go but have not gone as yet.

Brooke and Tami said...

The science museum and garden are my favorites. We would love to do that.